Going back into your "old" life

Over the past years I came back several times to Mexico after having lived for five years there. Five years is a long time and obviously every time I come back it's like going back home.

The reason why it feels home is because I so easily slip into old habits, find my old marks, see loved ones that are far away in distance and time and can experience everything I loved about Mexico.

What would a visit to Mexico be without upsetting my stomach with all the fine, spicy, fat but so delicious foods that you can find on every street corner. Tacos, quesadillas, gorditas, enchiladas, sopes and so on. Weeks before I get there I already crave all the things I will be able to eat and even if we "exported" some of it to Europe, it's always better here.

And there's the city of Mexico with it's typical traffic, the small grocery stores on every street corner, the vendors at the traffic lights, the local, grey and black markets, the shopping malls, the movie theaters, the public places where you head to buy "esquites" and hang around to talk. The city full of new bars and restaurants you can try out, the city that thrives 24/7 in it's own rhythm and to its own rules.


And above all there are my friends, here every time you visit, always eager to see you and it's there where you feel the real difference. It's like you've never left. You meet like you've always done and it's fun like always.


Because of all of this and the fact that my heart belongs to a Mexican I will be back, sometimes for visit and some day for good!

Comments